Hockey Alberta 2019-2020 Coaching Requirements

2019 -2020 Coach Applications

Coaching Clinics

OMHA Coach/Managers Handbook 2019-2020




Information regarding Criminal Records Checks (CRCs):

Olds Minor Hockey Association requires all coaches and active managers to submit a CRC BEFORE the start of the hockey season. If you are considering coaching/managing this season, please read the following information.
  • You must get the check done at the detachment in or nearest the home where you reside. (For example: If you are a resident of Sundre but are coaching a AA team in Olds, you must go to the Sundre detachment.)  
  • The RCMP asks that a cover letter stating the organization requesting the CRC accompany the application. This tells them what kind of check is needed.  In this case it's the "vulnerable sector" check that is needed for coaches/adults dealing with minors.
  • The week's CRC's submitted are sent in by the Detachment to be processed Wednesday afternoons. They are typically returned and can be picked up Thursday. If you submit your request anytime Monday - Wednesday morning you should be able to pick up Thursday.  If you submit your request on Thursday or Friday, your request will be put with the batch that goes out the following Wednesday and you must then wait nearly a week.
  • The person applying for the CRC does not have to be present for both the drop off AND the pick up of the CRC.  They have to be present at ONE of those times to present their photo identification. It is suggested it may be better to at least be present for the PICK UP, that way the RCMP can discuss any concerns with the application should they arise. If the applicant is dropping off the form and having a spouse or parent pick up the finished check, this should be noted with the person at the detachment.
  • Two pieces of ID are required. One must be photo ID.
  • In the event that the person applying for the CRC has a BIRTH DATE that matches a Flagged Birth date of an offender, etc, fingerprinting would need to be done.  
  • **NEW** Our information is that the Olds RCMP have now streamlined this process so you can have fingerprinting done at the detachment and have results by the next day. No waiting months for results. If fingerprinting is necessary there is a $25 charge, unless it accompanies the cover letter that OMHA provides for the CRC's we are requiring.
Final Note:  Your CRC must come from an R.C.M.P. Detachment, not from an online source.  A child welfare check from the province of Alberta is not sufficient - a CRC is required.